SCHOOLS COACHING AND CPD
Pro Skills have worked in schools for 12 years across the ages and abilities. We have moved forward and adapted services relevant to schools through times of government and policy change. One thing we are proud of that each change has led to us leading the way. We were the first to develop multi skills in primary schools in Bradford. We talked about physical literacy in 2004 and now its become a main component of everyday thinking.
We provide enhanced, live CPD for schools in PE curriculum time. This is one area that we are still fighting for change. We believe although improvements have been made in schools in terms of PE and Sport variety, the contact time, teaching of advanced techniques and skills and assessing and progressing young people is still a long way away. The levels achieved in many areas could be much higher. This is partly due to the overall culture in the country, placing emphasis on the outcome result rather than the process goals. We aim to help teachers become more confident in delivering PE and looking to developing their knowledge and understanding, given the little time many are given when qualifying.
Our CPD provides the following:
- minimum 6 weeks with each year group working with the class teacher and teaching assistant
- Week 1 is a full lesson delivered by us on a topic area chosen by the teacher
- Week 2 is 75-25% coach led with the teacher taking one section of the lesson.
- Week 3 is 75-25% with the teacher taking a different section of the lesson with feedback
- Week 4 and 5 are 50-50%
- Week 6 the teacher takes the lesson with analysis and feedback from the coach with a written report on improvements, areas for development and lesson competences
Reasons for CPD given by schools:
- Teachers find it hard to structure lessons to flow and include skill learning and games
- There are little or no demonstrations/ use of visuals in lessons from the teacher so children don’t have a base to measure their progress from
- They just play the same game or a small number of the same lesson each week
- There is little or no technical instruction or understanding
- The environment created isn’t one that promotes health, fun, active children
- Teachers find it difficult to include all children or have too many in groups with not enough time spent learning a skill or game
- The lessons are outdated and not relevant to modern sport
- There is little or no progression for fears of health and safety, handling dominant performers/ inclusiveness for those not involved/ as competent
- Unsure how to setup and organise small sided games and offer changes within the session to either progress or go back a step
- Ultimately have PE as a secondary thought and low confidence in delivery is passed on to children who then don’t feel the need to progress or try harder.
For more information or to book PE CPD for your staff (any year group) then contact Mark Senior email@example.com
AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS
We have been providing extra curricular clubs since 2004. As we have so many links in to local community club and professional sport, we not only provide after school clubs inclusive for all children (all ages), but many have progressed and moved into other community programmes via our clubs. If you use Pro Skills we go the extra mile.
We can tailor the clubs to meet the schools needs, however we take registers, sign out sheets and liaise with the PE coordinator and office staff regularly to ensure safeguarding and quality assurance.
EDUCATIONAL VISITS AND TRIPS
As part of our overall offering to schools we have organised a number of sports related trips and educational visits. For example:
- Manchester United education and ground tour
- CLIMBING CENTRES
- OUTDOOR ACTIVITY CENTRES
MARK SENIOR DELIVERS TEACHER TRAINING TO BRADFORD COLLEGE STUDENTS